Kenyan runner Eliud Kipchoge won the men’s London race for a record fourth time in 2:02:37 – the second fastest time ever behind only his own 2:01:39 set last year in Berlin. Britain’s Mo Farah was fifth in an underwhelming finish for the Olympic gold medallist. in a (poor) 2:05:39.
Kenya’s Brigid Kosgei won the women’s race with compatriot Vivian Cheruiyot coming in second – a role reversal from last year when she beat Kosgei to the crown.
The marathon is the country’s largest annual fundraiser and over 1 billion pounds has been raised since its inception in 1981 and a ballot of 444,168 applicants was narrowed down to 42,906 starters.
In total we had 3 runners running last Sunday, Richard, Charlotte and Beverley, all 3 ran really well and looked to enjoy their day in the big smoke.
Rchard Newberry 3:24:40
Charlotte Charlesworth 5:16:48
Beverley Morritt 6:21:36
Well done to all 3 of you a great achievement and I’m sure the drink afterwards tasted fab.
Fun facts world records
- Fastest marathon dressed as an awareness ribbon (male): Oliver Williams – 2:36:52
- Fastest marathon in scout uniform: Oliver Jones – 2:41:45
- Fastest marathon dressed as a zombie (male): Matthew Berry – 2:43:54
- Fastest marathon in a wedding dress (male): Lee Goodwin – 2:49:17
- Fastest marathon dressed as a doctor (male): Greg Kelly – 2:50:17
- Fastest marathon dressed as a golfer (male): Jonni Suckling – 2:59:35
Well done again to you all, a credit to the club